Student Placement
Hardship Caregiver

What relation are you to the student?

To enroll a student you must be the parent, legal guardian or DSS placement. IF none of these apply, a Hardship Caregiver is required. 

The hardship caregiver is only valid for one school year and it must be renewed every year the student is enrolled and living with the caregiver. 

**We are currently unable to notarize documents in our office, please be sure to notarize your document prior to submission**

Need to find a notary?  Click here to find a notary public. 

Prior to submission, the completed application must be notarized by a North Carolina (NC) public notary. 

To schedule an appointment, contact:

Phone:  (980) 343-5335 


NOTE:  A notarized statement does not constitute legal guardianship in the state of North Carolina. 

NOTA: Una carta notarizada no constituye custodia legal en el estado de Carolina del Norte. 

Downloadable Parent Affidavit

Please use this form in the event you are a biological parent looking to enroll a student and are not on the birth certificate.


Downloadable Hardship Caregiver applications

English Form

Persona Encargada de un Estudiante en Situaciones Difíciles: aplicaciones descargables. 

P.O. Box 30035
Charlotte, NC 28230-0035
Phone: 980-343-3000
The Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools website ( is in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Any website accessibility concerns may be brought via the following, Email the Web Accessibility Team at WebAccessibility or Call: 980.343.0115. In compliance with Federal Law, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools administers all education programs, employment activities and admissions without discrimination against any person on the basis of gender, race, color, religion, national origin, age, or disability. Inquiries regarding compliance with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in education programs or activities, may be referred to the District's Title IX Coordinator at titleixcoordinator or to the Office for Civil Rights, United States Department of Education.